Halloween is only a day away and every year it is difficult for most of us to steer clear of all the sugary treats that surrounds us during this holiday. They can be so tempting!
Whether you are going to a party or walking around the city with the kiddies, here are some essential tips to help you stay healthy and happy:
• Have a snack BEFORE you go trick or treating or out to a party! You will be less tempted by the candy if you eat something with fiber and protein beforehand. Good snack options include yogurt, a piece of fruit and string cheese or even sliced turkey and raw veggies. Also remember to feed the kids before they go out!
• If you are a diet soda drinker beware on Halloween – the artificial sweeteners often make you crave REAL sugar! Avoid them at all costs!
• Make a plan ahead of time to only have 2 sweets. Having a game plan set in place BEFORE the night begins will make it easier to stick to it. If you take any sweets home, THROW THEM OUT! Better to waste them in the garbage then waste them in your belly.
• If you need something sweet, try and choose dark chocolate over milk or white – at least you are getting some antioxidants; go for chocolate filled with nuts over caramel – nuts are a healthy fat; try to avoid all candies with empty calories – that means some of our favorites including lollipops, Skittles, Laffy Taffy, Tootsie Pops and Twizzlers.
• If you are hosting something at your place, include some creative AND healthy treats like ‘ghosts’ made out of frozen bananas dipped in yogurt and decorated with currants for eyes and a chocolate chip for the mouth!
Some of the best options include:
2 Dark Chocolate Hershey’s kisses
1 Mini Peppermint Pattie
1 Mini Snickers Bar
1 Mini Peanut M&M packet
2 Mini Reeses Peanut Butter Cups
Dara Godfrey, MS, RD